California Wrongful Death Attorney
If a loved one has died due to the negligence or intentional actions of someone else, you may have grounds to file a wrongful death lawsuit against them and to receive compensation for losses incurred as a result of the death. Over the course of more than two decades of experience in civil litigation and personal injury law, the attorneys at McLachlan Law has helped many clients with wrongful death claims in many different settings.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a special kind of civil suit in which someone close to (or dependent on) the deceased files a claim against the perpetrator to cover expenses such as unpaid medical bills and funeral costs, as well as damages for lost expected income, pain and suffering, etc. Wrongful death may occur due to extreme negligence or by intentional killing.
Who Can Be Sued for Wrongful Death in California?
Wrongful death may cover a wide range of scenarios in which a person or company may be held responsible for someone’s untimely death. For example:
- A doctor or hospital (i.e., medical malpractice).
- The driver at fault in a vehicle accident resulting in a fatality.
- The manufacturer of a faulty product or part that caused death (e.g., a malfunctioning brake in a car or a faulty airplane design).
- The bartender who didn’t cut off an obviously drunk customer, who later dies or kills someone else.
- A person who commits domestic violence resulting in their partner’s death.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death?
California law allows only certain people to file wrongful death claims. These include:
- Immediate family (e.g, surviving spouse or children).
- Surviving domestic partner.
- An apparent heir to the estate
- A financial dependent (e.g., parents of the deceased, stepchildren or a putative spouse)
Contact South Bay Wrongful Death Lawyers
If someone you love has suffered a death due to someone’s negligence, the wrongful death lawyers at McLachlan Law can help you determine if you have a claim and then represent your interests to get the compensation to which you are entitled. The firm is known for its responsive service, regular communication with clients, superior trial preparation and cutting-edge courtroom presentation. Call our office for a free case evaluation. (310) 893-6192
Schedule a Consultation
Contact us now to discuss your case and learn more about our firm.