Commercial tractor-trailers are some of the most important parts of the United States economy. These vehicles are responsible for transporting millions of tons of cargo all around the country every day and are common sights on most major highways. While these vehicles are essential for many American communities to thrive, they are also some of the most inherently dangerous vehicles on the road.
If you experience a truck accident of any kind, the chances of severe injuries and significant property damage are exponentially higher than in an accident with another passenger vehicle. A loaded commercial truck weighs many times more than the average passenger vehicle and does not have the same braking power or maneuverability. If you are suffering physical injuries and economic losses because of a truck accident due to negligence, call our firm. It’s vital to speak with a Torrance, CA truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
Why Do I Need an Attorney?
Even if your truck accident appears straightforward and liability clear, there are many ways your claim can become a very complicated legal battle when you do not have legal representation on your side. First and foremost, it is extremely difficult to meet the demands of any legal case while recovering from serious physical injuries and the subsequent economic fallout they can cause for anyone. Hiring an experienced Torrance truck accident lawyer to represent your claim is the best method for ensuring you are able to obtain a recovery for your losses.
Your Torrance, CA truck accident attorney will help you gather evidence and build your claim while you focus on recovering. The right attorney can also uncover potential avenues of compensation that you may have otherwise overlooked on your own. Ultimately, whatever you spend in legal fees will likely pale in comparison to how much you stand to lose if you forego legal representation in a truck accident claim.
Determining Liability for a Truck Accident
Another reason to hire an experienced truck accident attorney to help with your injury claim is the fact that determining liability for a truck accident is typically far more difficult than determining liability for a passenger vehicle accident. This is due to the fact that truck accidents often draw upon the legal concept of vicarious liability, or the potential for one party to absorb liability for the actions of another party.
There could be many possible defendants in any given truck accident claim, depending on how the accident occurred. For example, a truck accident can happen solely due to the driver’s negligence. It is also possible for truck accidents to happen because of the negligent actions of a driver and their employer. For example, consider the situation in which a truck driver operates a commercial vehicle under the influence of alcohol and has a history of DUI offenses. If their employer neglected to investigate this history, it would implicate both the driver and their employer as liable for the accident.
How Do Truck Accidents Occur?
Tractor-trailers are in many ways more vulnerable to accidents than standard passenger vehicles. This is primarily due to the fact that they have higher centers of gravity and are therefore more vulnerable to tipping or rolling over in some situations. The way in which a truck accident occurs can also indicate liability for the resulting damages. Some of the most common ways for truck accidents to occur include:
- Unbalanced cargo, which can lead to rollovers and tip-over accidents as a truck rounds a sharp turn.
- Mechanical failures. Sometimes poor vehicle maintenance can cause a truck accident. In this situation, the party responsible for maintaining the truck absorbs liability.
- Truck driver negligence. If a truck driver neglects to follow Hours of Service regulations, drives under the influence, or otherwise fails to use reasonable care, the responsibility is likely with the driver. It is possible for a driver to absorb full liability for an accident they cause.
- Third-party actions. It is also possible for a third party, such as another private driver, to cause a truck accident. Aggressive driving, speeding, and other negligent actions behind the wheel can cause truck accidents and car accidents alike.
These are only a few of the possible causes of a truck accident. No matter how your truck accident occurred, one of the most important things you do immediately following the incident is to speak with a Torrance, CA truck accident attorney to determine your best options for legal recourse.
Proving Fault and Recovering Compensation in a Truck Accident Lawsuit
The right Torrance, CA truck accident lawyer can help their client prove liability for their truck accident. This requires identifying the party or parties responsible for causing the accident and clearly establishing their failure to act with reasonable care. Next, they must establish the full extent of the plaintiff’s claimable damages and prove them to be the direct results of the truck accident in question.
A truck accident lawsuit can potentially secure substantial compensation for the plaintiff’s damages, including:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and future. Some truck accidents cause catastrophic injuries that require extensive long-term treatment and recovery. A plaintiff can recover anticipated future medical costs as well as immediate medical expenses resulting from a truck accident.
- Property damage, including the cost of fixing or replacing the plaintiff’s vehicle.
- Lost income. Truck accidents can cause severe injuries that prevent victims from working. They can claim their wages lost during this time as damages.
- Pain and suffering. The court awards compensation for pain and suffering based on the severity of the plaintiff’s injuries, the likelihood of long-term damage and disability, and the amount of the plaintiff’s other claimed damages.
Plaintiffs can potentially recover these and other damages depending on the exact circumstances of their accidents. Choosing the right attorney to represent your truck accident claim could significantly impact the quality of your recovery.
Build Your Truck Accident Claim Today
If you are ready to speak with a reliable and trustworthy Torrance, CA truck accident lawyer, call our firm. Attorney Mike McLachlan and the team at McLachlan Law, APC are ready and willing to assist you. Contact us today to schedule a professional review of your truck accident claim. We will let you know how we can help.
Schedule a Consultation
Contact us now to discuss your case and learn more about our firm.