Motorcycles are popular vehicles throughout California. Some rely on them because they are small and easy to store, while others simply enjoy riding motorcycles for pleasure. Regardless of whether you operate a motorcycle out of necessity or for leisure, you should know the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in the Hermosa Beach area so you can avoid them. A motorcycle accident can cause devastating injuries and expensive economic losses that might impact your life in negative ways for years to come.
A Hermosa Beach motorcycle accident attorney is a major asset when you have experienced a motorcycle accident caused by another party’s negligence. At McLachlan Law, APC, our legal team handles motorcycle accident claims of all kinds.
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Motorcycle accidents can occur for many of the same reasons as all other vehicle accidents:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is incredibly dangerous, both for the impaired driver and others around them. A motorcycle accident caused by DUI can have severe or potentially fatal consequences for the victim.
- Speeding and aggressive driving are also often responsible for causing motorcycle accidents. Any type of aggressive driving makes it difficult to react to changing circumstances on the road while also making it more difficult for other drivers to anticipate the aggressive driver’s actions.
- Poor visibility can contribute to motorcycle accidents due to the small size of motorcycles. They are much shorter and narrower than typical passenger vehicles and are therefore easier to become lost in other vehicles’ blind spots.
- Damaged, uneven, and slippery roads are especially hazardous to motorcycles that do not possess the same traction as larger vehicles.
- Distracted driving can make it easy for any driver to miss hazards in the road. Motorcycles are especially vulnerable because of how easy they can be to miss even when other drivers pay attention.
Whenever a motorcycle accident occurs due to a party’s negligence, or failure to exercise reasonable care on the road, the injured rider can potentially recover compensation for their losses by filing a personal injury claim against the party responsible for the accident.
Proving Fault for a Motorcycle Accident Claim
If another party caused a motorcycle accident due to negligence, distraction, driving under the influence, or any other reason, talk with our firm. It’s important to have a Hermosa Beach motorcycle accident attorney evaluate your claim and determine the best approach to securing your recovery. If you only sustained minor injuries, an insurance claim against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy could potentially cover your losses. However, substantial damages may require further legal action beyond what an insurance claim could potentially provide.
Proving fault for a motorcycle accident claim is necessary for both insurance purposes and to establish grounds for a personal injury claim. This involves establishing the defendant’s breached duty of care and causation between this breach and the plaintiff’s claimed damages.
Potential Recovery in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
The California Code of Civil Procedure includes clear guidelines for legal matters involving negligent driving. When a motorist causes an accident with a motorcyclist or any other driver, the at-fault driver is liable for all resulting damages. Motorcyclists are some of the most vulnerable motorists on the roads in California, and their vehicles afford them virtually no protection in an accident. Motorcycle accident victims often suffer severe injuries, some of which can be fatal.
Recovery in any personal injury claim hinges on the extent of the plaintiff’s compensable damages, the severity of the long-term effects their losses are likely to have, and the defendant’s behavior. The majority of personal injury claims settle outside of court. However, a motorcycle accident claim can escalate to litigation if a defendant denies liability for the accident or contests their responsibility for the plaintiff’s claimed damages.
Motorcycle accident claims involving catastrophic injuries with long-term medical implications for the victim typically yield significant compensation for the victim’s immediate and expected future medical expenses. These claims also often involve property damages for the victim’s damaged or destroyed motorcycle as well as pain and suffering compensation.
Find Legal Counsel for Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
If you or a loved one recently experienced a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, call our firm. The team at McLachlan Law, APC can help you hold them accountable for your losses through a personal injury claim. Our firm has successfully represented clients as their Hermosa Beach motorcycle accident attorneys for many years. We have solid experience handling this type of claim. Contact us today to schedule a case review with a Hermosa Beach motorcycle accident lawyer who can provide you with a clear and honest interpretation of your legal options.