If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be suffering catastrophic personal injuries. These catastrophic personal injuries can impact a victim’s entire life in either a temporary or permanent way, however, either way these personal injuries will result in serious consequences.
Types of Catastrophic Personal Injuries
Some of the common types of catastrophic personal injuries may include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back, neck and/or spinal cord injuries
- Amputation or the limited use of a limb
- Internal organ damage
- Blindness or deafness
- Severe burns
Common Causes of Catastrophic Personal Injuries
While there are many scenarios where a victim could suffer catastrophic personal injuries, oftentimes these accidents are through the following:
- Vehicle crashes. Oftentimes, vehicle accidents can cause severe injuries due to the high impact and velocity of two vehicles colliding. Any motorcycle, bicycle, commercial truck, passenger vehicle, a recreational vehicle (RV), bus, boat, jet ski or another type of vehicle involved in an accident can result in catastrophic personal injuries.
- Violent assaults. Violent assaults regularly lead to catastrophic personal injuries requiring surgeries, hospitalization or long-term physical therapy.
- Accidents at work. Depending on the type of work, work accidents can result in catastrophic injuries suffered from equipment failures or malfunctions, or even from falls from a great height. While workers’ compensation will help pay for the compensation needed for any work-related accident, the personal injuries suffered by workers on the job can be devastating.
- Defectively manufactured products. Defective products can cause serious and severe personal injuries. If a car’s airbag fails to deploy correctly, the result can be serious personal injuries that are life-threatening or even death.
- Medical malpractice. Any patient that suffers medical malpractice oftentimes has permanent and life-long serious personal injuries due to the negligence of a medical care provider.
How To Bring a Claim for Catastrophic Personal Injuries
Every one of the above-mentioned catastrophic personal injury cases would be handled differently. Work-related injuries are typically handled through workers’ compensation claims. Manufacturing defects are handled through holding the manufacturing company responsible for injuries. Violent assaults may include a criminal case depending on the nature of the case. Vehicle accidents could hold the driver or trucking company responsible. Medical malpractice claims may hold the physician, nurse, hospital staff, medical professional or hospital itself liable for any catastrophic injuries suffered by a victim.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
In many cases, a victim could not prevent their catastrophic personal injury. If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic personal injury, visiting with an experienced personal injury attorney can help ensure that your legal rights are protected, and help you receive the compensation you deserve. Catastrophic personal injuries can change a victim’s life permanently, and in the worst cases lead to wrongful death. If you or a loved one are facing a catastrophic personal injury of any kind due to the negligence of another, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at McLachlan Law at (310) 446-8923 or online today.